Saturday, May 7, 2011

May 07, 2011: Grenoble - Bastille Hike, Weeds

Today we took a new bus through Grenoble to the outskirts, at St-Martin-Le-Vinoux, for a hike up to the Bastille. We got off in an older village area, hiked up a steep slope and cut back in and then out again along a long valley. It was a hot, sunny day, and I was happy to find one of the traditional village fountains (a large basin fed by a mountain spring) along the way. I saw down on the edge to dip in both my arms as deep as possible to cool off - Mark said I was lucky I was wearing the camera or he would have been tempted to push me in!

We ended up high on the hill above the Bastille, at the monument to the troops of the mountain. We had seen this area from below, but it wasn't clear how to get there. All we had to do was stick to the road however, and it was very straightforward.

After getting home we had a relaxing DVD binge, watching season 5 of Weeds.

On the way to the top

  
Our refreshing break at the fountain

The view from above the Bastille

A monument, with "Peace" and "Friendship" inscribed in multiple languages

No comments:

Post a Comment