Sunday, April 10, 2011

April 10, 2011: Grenoble - Monoprix Shopping, Walk by the River, Rome

With all of the delightfully unexpected warm weather, Mark has realized he doesn't have enough short-sleeved shirts. So this morning we went shopping at Monoprix - it's where I'm usually shopping for our groceries, but they also have a good-sized clothing department. We found one shirt that was just right - easy shopping!

In the afternoon Mark did a bit of work and I did some travel planning. By the end of the day we were ready for some outdoor air. We went for a walk along the Isère river, in the opposite direction from the way we usually go. It wasn't as scenic at that end, but there were some interesting signs and businesses. We looped back along the usual stretch of the river, passed through the center of the old city and about 1.5 hours later we were home.

In the evening we watched a couple of episodes of "Rome" - Jenn sent me the first season, and we're hooked. I'm impressed with the sets - someone went to alot of work to create the surroundings - right down to the details of colourfully painted marble buildings (and not white as we know them now).

Have I already posted a photo of these great elephant decorations? Or do I just keep thinking I should take a photo of them every time I walk by?

I've been down this sidewalk many times now, but only today did I notice the metal "Cularo" plaque - I imagine it marks the boundary of the original Roman walled city from the third century AD.

Mark pointed out that this fountain has mermen rather than mermaids, and that they've got two tails, not just one!

A friend told me that someone has photographed all the instances of this sheep graffiti, and has made a blog about it. There must be dozens, maybe even hundreds, of the sheep.

The signage is too psychedelic for it to be just a regular gardening store...

I love the cartoon car in this garage's sign.

Yet another collection of wine bottles to take to the glass recycling center. They're lined up more or less from least to most favourite, left to right.

No comments:

Post a Comment