Thursday, March 31, 2011

March 31, 2011: Grenoble - La Fin du Premier Mois

This morning was the French conversation coffee get-together at Pain et Cie with Open House. We switched over to a bit of English at the end, because Sophie's son stopped by. He studied English in school, so was quite good, but a bit shy about speaking in it, so she welcomed the chance for him to be "immersed".

After that it was back home, where I had some proof-reading work awaiting me. Between that, some reading and trip planning, and the daily trip to Monoprix to pick up some things for dinner, time flew by.

No new photos or other activities to report - today just felt like a regular day of life, which just happened to be set in France. Which is perhaps appropriate, at the end of our first month in France, that I've developed a daily routine of life. Some observations, looking back over the past month:

- I look French. All I have to do is put on a scarf, and I resemble the French women around me, who have simple hairstyles and minimal make-up. This is rather strange for me, because in other countries where I couldn't speak the language, like Mexico, Greece or Cyprus, it was obvious that I was a newcomer because I lacked the all-pervasive tan. On the one hand I get a kick out of blending in here. On the other hand it means that strangers are far more likely to launch into a barrage of French that I can't understand.

- I hear far more singing on the street. Kids singing out loud. Parents singing songs to their children. I can't think of the last time I heard anyone singing in Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment