Sunday, July 18, 2010

July 16, 2010: Washington - Laundry, American History, American History (Again)


I finally tackled the laundry - there's a nice room in the apartment building, and it's just down the hall. Apparently I can get an email or text to a cell phone to let me know when my load is done; there's also a website where I can log in to see which machines are free - the world of laundromats has evolved in the last few years since I used one.

After finishing the laundry I headed downtown to the Museum of American History. It's a bit of a hodgepodge of artifacts. One of the most popular was Julia Child's kitchen - masses of people taking photos from all angles. I have to wonder how many of them have actually seen her shows or used her recipes. Other exhibits at the museum included the original star-spangled banner that inspired the anthem (astonishingly large - like 30 x 40 feet), and an exhibition on Abraham Lincoln (I had no idea that his assassin, John Wilkes Booth, was part of a large conspiracy that was targeting multiple public figures - a nearby visitor told his wife that this was yet another thing that the Democrats have tried to cover up!), and a great little exhibition on pop-up books (there was a copy of Roland Pym's 'Sleeping Beauty', very similar to his 'Beauty and the Beast' which I have at home).

In the evening Mark and I came back downtown to the museum, since it was open until 7:00, and we cruised through the section on advances in American science. Then we attempted to go up the tower at the Old Post Office, but we arrived too late.

Photo: Julia Child's kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment